Hyperbaric Therapy100% Oxygen Treatment
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
In a nutshell, HBOT can help speed recovery, relieve pain, fight infection, improve circulation and help in the recovery from injuries like concussions.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is the medical use of oxygen at a higher than atmospheric pressure. “Hyper” means increased and “baric” relates to pressure. HBOT refers to intermittent treatment of the entire body with 100% oxygen at greater than normal atmospheric pressure. In the ambient atmosphere, we normally breathe approximately 20% oxygen and 80 percent nitrogen. While undergoing HBOT, pressure is increased in a highly concentrated oxygen environment (i.e. close to 100% oxygen). This increased pressure, combined with an increase in oxygen to close to 100%, dissolves oxygen in the blood plasma and in all body cells, tissues and fluids at up to 10 times normal concentration.
Some of the many benefits of HBOT:
- Greatly increases oxygen concentration in all body tissues
- Stimulates the growth of new blood vessels to locations with reduced circulation, improving blood flow
- Results in an increased blood vessel diameter greater than when therapy began, improving blood flow
- Stimulates an increase in superoxide dismutase (SOD), one of the body’s principal, internally produced antioxidants and free radical scavengers
- Aids the treatment of infection by enhancing white blood cell action